Thursday, November 08, 2012

Sticky Steps

 
The stairway by our garage and basement doors were disgusting.  The previous owner had put in a light colored sticky tile linoleum that showed every scratch, piece of dirt... well, everything!

I failed to get a before picture, but we decided to rip up the old and start over in what is the beginning of my "Mud Hall" Mini Makeover...

We started the process by ripping up all the old stick tile, metal corner strip and quarter round that framed the side of the steps.

After that, we measured and leveled the stick tile and set it in place.  We used the level to make sure our cuts were even and straight.  As you can see, I stood on the level to make sure it didn't move.

Teamwork makes the dream work...
 
 
Justin moved along pretty quickly after we got the first step done and we weren't too concerned with the edges since we knew we would be covering them up.

 
Our sweet boys watched us from the hallway. =]
 
 
Here are the steps all finished up without the metal corner strips and quarter round. 
 
 
The next step was to get all the edges covered.  I was torn on what color to choose for the metal strips and wasn't sure if silver or gold would be a better bet.  I thought those two colors were my only options but was super excited to see in store the third option of pewter! I has the perfect bronzy finish that matches the brown in the tiles perfectly!
 
 
After adding white quarter round to the edges, this project is D O N E.  It looks so good and didn't cost much at all. This was about a $50 project and so worth it.  It hides the dust and dirt  and matches our style so much better than the old stuff.
 
 
Like I mentioned earlier, this is the first step for my "Mud Hall" Mini Makeover.  I will give you the deets on the rest of my plans later this week!
 

No comments: