Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mud Hall Mini Makeover

We don't have room in our house to have an official "Mud Room" so I decided to turn the hallway by the garage and basement door into a "Mud Hall".   I want a place to hang things like dog leashes, kids backpacks, my purse or whatever else might find itself there.
 
We are working with very minimal space but I think it will work perfect for the uses we need.

Here is the space we are working with:

 

You can see the wall through the door opening from the kitchen to the hallway.  Those pictures will be removed and replaced.

Here is the hall view.  The door at the very end of the hall leads out to the garage which is where we go in an out often with the pups.  The hooks will be great for leashes, sweatshirts and whatever else we may need the hooks for...


Here is the function I hope this mini makeover brings to our home.
 
Doggie Station 
The garage is where we enter and exit after trips to the park, potty trips, playing out back, etc. You get my drift.  I want an area with hooks to hang their leashes / collars and chuck it on.
 
Command Center
Right now I have a frame collage going on that I'm not too excited about, but I know I can rework it into something that would be useful to us.  I have 3 matching frames and in them I want to have calendars for the current month and the next two upcoming months.  Our lives are busy and especially with the holidays and bball coming, we can each write what we have going on and be in the know.
 
I will most likely add another chalkboard area. (I know, I have a problem)...
 
and I want to add a couple of these Lidan baskets from IKEA to a hook for Justin to throw his keys, wallet, headphones, whatever.  It can be his place for his things =]
LIDAN Basket, set of 2 IKEA Handmade. Each basket is unique. Suitable for use in damp spaces.
 
Homey Art
I was given an awesome cross stitch of a black lab that I want to hang in this space.  I'm going to revamp the frame situation but I love how it will be an homage to our boys and is a one of a kind piece.  I also want to make some of my own art (via computer) of our house numbers or something.  I also have a wood sign with our last name and EST. 2009 date that I want to hang there. 
 
I got my inspiration from.... PINTEREST!  (I know that is so shocking)... from Jenna Sue's blog which I recently became obsessed with. 
 
Pinned Image 
 
I will play copycat with the moulding and hooks bit and got some ideas to make my own homey art.  We have scrap wood that I can paint and or stain.  Her space is similar to ours with the fact that we really only have wall space to play with.  We don't have room for shoe storage or anything of that sort so everything must go up on the wall.
 
I will need to buy the hooks/baskets, create the art, patch and paint a few screw holes and the project will be super inexpensive with a wonderful result!
 
I also want to get a door mat for the bottom stoop near both the basement and garage doors.  I'm digging both of these from IKEA, the HESSUM and the TRAMPA door mats. The HESSUM (bottom) has a matching runner so that may be another completely necessary purchase. =]
TRAMPA Door mat IKEA Easy to keep clean. Shake the rug outdoors or vacuum. Latex backing keeps the mat firmly in place.
HESSUM Door mat IKEA Easy to clean; shake, vacuum or rinse. Latex backing keeps the mat firmly in place.
 
I am really hoping to get this done this weekend.  I'm really motivated to get stuff done around the house and I don't want to stop while the momentum is up!

Stay tuned!!


2 comments:

Sarah Kyle said...

Love the chalkboard wall!! Ah I want so badly to do this but I cannot decide where. I always assumed the babes room. I just feel like I should wait until I am living somewhere more spacious though. Love the mud hall idea. I kinda have that with my back door/laundry room/mud room area. It works great. I dont track dirt into the house. I get to hang all my sweatshirts, purses, etc. And keep the shoes in there.

Stephanie said...

The chalkboard wall is amazing! I love just jotting things down as they come to my pregnancy brain! Even if you just did a small area, it's really nice of lists, ideas and goals.

I wish we had a room like yours, something bigger, but this will do until the basement is up and running :)