Monday, August 30, 2010

Guest Bedroom #1

Continuing down our rather large "to do" list, the guest bedroom on the main floor was a high priority.  We I wanted a cute/comfortable bedroom to have for guests should they come stay with us during our construction. 

Before, as you see below, the tenant chose a lovely periwinkle blue color for the top portion of the wall and a mint green for the lower.  He finished it all off with a glamorous Winnie the Pooh border and a groovy brown shag carpet - ick.



We wanted to create a calm space where visitors could enjoy their stay in our home. This is how it went down.
We started with paint and came to our first design challenge of the room.  The ceilings in the two bedrooms on the main floor have coved ceiling which are one of my favorite features of the home but the dilemma we were facing was how to paint the wall and ceiling different colors without having a silly and most likely crooked paint line across the top of the wall.  Solution.  Moulding.  I didnt want to do the moulding halfway up the wall since we already created that look in the bathroom.  I decided to just move the it up, up and up to right before the cove started to curve.  We absolutely love the look and feel that it accentuates the cove even more!




The bedroom furniture is from IKEA and the accessories are a mish mosh of things we had.  I love the way it turned out and how the black accents pop off the cobblestone colored paint.  Another thing I am particularly excited about is the new "art deco" looking vent covers we purchased from Lowes and of course our GORGEOUS hardwood floors :)  LOOOOOVE.


What do you think?  Would you want to stay here?

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Oh snap, I would so stay there girl!

On a serious note - the house looks awesome and you should be writing for a "do it yourself" magazine. Great job Steph & Justin.

Unknown said...

thanks so much for sharing your blog! I can't wait to see more! :)

Shel Lakin said...

STEPH! I am now a follower. I do not know how you do it. Some how I wasn't blessed with the decorative gene like yourself. You win!