Monday, May 05, 2014

Ottoman Makeover


A couple years ago, I picked up two of the most basic of ottomans from IKEA.  With hopes and dreams of making amazing covers for them, I did manage to make a somewhat decent cover for one, while the other was left to rest naked in the basement.
 
 
In February, Cru spent a night very sick with temperatures of over 100 degrees.  That was the night the second ottoman got a second chance.  I ended up sleeping in that chair that night so I asked my husband to bring it up from the basement for me.   I loved it so much, it stayed.  However, it needed some love.

I spent a while mulling over what color/pattern I wanted to cover it in.  Crus room is already so bright with lots of different patterns and textures, I wanted to be careful not to choose something that would compete.  On the easy side, his room also allows for the use of any color.  So that left my pallet with lots of options. I get overwhelmed in fabric stores so I was thrilled to find this fitted sheet in the kids section of IKEA.  The green color is a solid so I knew it wouldn't compete with all the patterns in the space and the green color would pull out the green in some of the art in the room and pull your eye off of the blue and red which has a heavy presence in his room!  For $6 I had my ottoman cover!
 
 
If I wanted to spend the time (which I didn't) I could have cut and sewn it to the perfect size and create an attachment system so I can remove and wash as needed.  Instead I pulled out my staple gun, flipped the thing over, pulled it tight and stapled away!  I was prepared to cut away the extra fabric underneath but was able to just staple it out of sight.  Kind of a ghetto method, but it worked for me and what the eye can see looks great!
 
Here she is!
 
 
I really love the way it looks in Cru's room.  It pulls from the greens in the Vintage Disney attraction posters behind the chair and on his desk.  Easy peasy! 
 
 

No comments: