Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mission: Kitchen

I mentioned a cleaning spree a few weeks ago and I have finally started that! My mission is starting in the kitchen.  Today is garbage day so I figured last night was a good time to clean out my pantry.

All of our cabinets are pretty organized except for our pantry.  It wasn't terrible, I just wanted to put like items together and throw away some stuff that needed to go.
 
Here is our pantry before:
 
 
And our pantry after!
 
Top Shelf:  All canned and jarred items
Second Shelf: All pastas, boxed rice/noodles and crackers
Third Shelf: chips, Salad toppings and pancake batter
Fourth Shelf: All spices, seasonings and cooking oils/liquids
Bottom Shelf: All baking goods
 
 
It's so nice to have everything is some sort of order.  It's not perfect but I'm not having to dig for certain things and I know about where everything is. :)
 
I also tackled the shelf above the pantry.  There were empty bottles I wanted to keep for who knows why, honey, rice, pasta Tupperware... lots of random stuff.
 
 
Now its much better! The rice and balsamic stayed because they are too tall to fit on the other shelves.  I also keep my tall Tupperware storage up there and Plastic utensils, paper plates, etc..
 
 
Moving on to other things....
 
You all probably remember the little chalkboard I made out of a mirror last year...
 
Well, we use it all the time.  Whether it's to track our budget, write our favorite bible verse of the day or just to jot something down, we wanted to scribble space to put our thoughts, inspirations and day to to day info.
 
 
Well... I had a bunch of leftover paint and decided to paint the whole wall! 
 
Here it is after the first coat...
 
 
The second coat...
 
 
and finally the last coat with all the tape taken off!
 
 
My plan is to put my little chalkboard back up there and have our bible verses on there while the rest can be used for whatever!  I also was thinking about adding 3 months worth of calendar space on there so we can see what events/holidays/birthdays we have coming up.  Things are about to get real busy and it's nice to keep things straight. :) 
 
I also love the contrast it adds to the kitchen.  Having a dark wall makes all the darker features in the kitchen pop!  We're also going to add a piece of quarter round to the top and upper right corner to completely frame it in.
 
We need to let it cure for a few days but when it's ready I will give you an update post!

No comments: