Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wood Be Gone!

You probably all remember the upstairs of our home...

The room I am talking about specifically is the "wood room".  The room full of dated knotty pine paneling that really has not place in our house.  In the mountains at a beautiful snowy ski resort? Yes. In downtown Sumner? No.

We have had mixed reviews when we show people the space. Some shudder in fear and others love the throwback to the 60's they experience when in the room.


What do we think?  Well you all know I can appreciate things from another era but this...  Not really. I could have sanded it and made it darker or done a white wash treatment on it, but ultimately, it just needed to go away.

There were weird, creepy markings in the wood from the past residents and the wood makes the room feel dated and dark.

SOoooo,  I painted it.  Yep, I primed right over that knotty wood. Luckily I didn't have to do any sanding and three coats of the Kwik Primer worked great!

I love the character this room has.  From the built-in desk to the in-wall ledge, these are things you just cant find in homes any more. 


Along with paint, other plans for the room are new carpet, new hardware for the desk drawers and to cut the scallops above the desk and opposite side of the room to a straight edge.  Not a real fan of the "frill" look, well, maybe, but not in this case.


Painting will come next.  More on that later! Happy Hump Day!

2 comments:

jessica said...

It looks great! I'm not a huge fan of the panelling...as we have it allllll downstairs! wish I could do something about it! But I love the white/lighter color it sure opens the upstairs! Good job!

Stephanie said...

Thanks!! I like it too! Now I just have to figure out what color to paint it. :)