Thursday, January 19, 2012

Living Room Upgrade!

We've made some changes in the living room and we LOVE it.  By completing our upgrade we were able to check off some items on our to do list.
Here is our new living room layout! The wall color is looking very yellow in these photos so I apologize...
I moved the bottom part of the buffet that was in the dining room to the back part of the living room.  I took off the top part of the buffet and added the mirror that was on the mantle...

We have always wanted the living layout like this and were only able to because we got a new T.V.!  We moved some pictures around and the small bookshelf was placed under the window for components and other things....




We also added a new light fixture by the front door.  It used to be a rusty nasty thing but we upgraded it to a new but vintage looking fixture...



Looks great!  I still need to polyurethane that closet door!


So as far as our "To Do" list goes, here is what we've completed:

Front Door Light: The light in our entryway consists of a bulb hanging out of the ceiling. I want to find an inexpensive, yet vintage inspired fixture to place here.
Bathroom Fan: Our main floor bathroom fan is NOT cutting it. You can see the moisture on the walls and our shower curtain rod is showing rust spots. This is something that needs to be addressed ASAP before the moisture starts breeding mold! EEEK!
TV: Our weird flat screen/tube television set has proved to be nothing but an awkward eyesore for the living room. We would like to upgrade to an ACTUAL flat screen that could be put in a more fitting location and provide one focal point in the space.
Vent Oven Hood: We have a hood above our oven, but now we need to vent it so that it will actually take the cooking air outside so our smoke alarms won't go off on a daily basis.
Stickem Linoleum: Our entry landing and steps at the garage and basement doors has tired nasty stickem linoleum that show every dog hair, dirt and whatever else gets dragged in. We want to purchase a darker linoleum to put there to give it a fresh look and hide some of the grime.
Caulk Moulding: The baseboard in our living and dining room needs to be caulked. We have the caulk, now we just need to do it!
Clean Paint Off Hallway Floors: I was a little bit messy in painting the baseboards in the hallway. There are a few areas where I accidentally got some paint on the floor. I purchased some Goof Off wipes that I will review and used to clean up my mess.
Dining Room / Kitchen Revamp: I'm tired of all the tan. It's broken up nicely in the living room with color and such but the dining room is baaaaad. The tan walls with oak trims and table is not working for me. My plan is to paint the dining room and kitchen a lighter beige color that will create a cohesive look with the two spaces but will also compliment the darker tan I have going on in the living room and hallway. I also plan to make some new window treatments and recover the dining room seats for a fresh, new look. I also want to paint the open cabinet backs an accent color to break up the white and add a little flare.

Stain Closet Door: It took a blog photo for me to realize that I need to do this.  So I am adding it to the list!

Working on the dining room and other project now! These snow days are making very productive days in the Dobson home!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Love it! It makes your living room look so much bigger :) And your new TV looks great!