Monday, May 09, 2011

Chalk it To Me

For a while now, I have been wanting a chalk board in the kitchen. I am always thinking of things that I need to pick up at the store or do and I thought it would be a much more effective way of remembering to write it on a big-in-your-face-board, than writing on little pieces of paper that go missing.

I was at a thrift store two weekends ago and this little baby caught my eye...

It was only $5 dollars!


I purchased some chalk paint from the local hardware store,


taped off the edges,



and started painting.
   

Once the first coat is on, you have to wait 4 hours to apply the second coat, third and so on.


After all the layers were applied, I peeled the tape off, taking some of the chalk board with it. I ended up just painting in the inner frame to make things easier.


It is now hanging where my "plate art" used to be.  It's kind of small for the space but I have some other ideas of what to add there.


After three days of drying, you can write on it. :]  We were out of town this past weekend and my sister-in-law house sat.  We decided to leave her the first message on our new chalk board!


3 comments:

Kevin said...

I love it! I want to do this too! :) So crafty!

Whitney said...

Oops that was from me (whitney) not Kev! Although, he probably would like to do something like this ;)

Stephanie said...

ITs soooo easy :)